Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorney
Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer
Cases involving Commercial Motor Vehicles are drastically different than the typical run-of-the-mill automobile collision. The term “Commercial Motor Vehicle” includes eighteen-wheelers, dump trucks, boxtrucks, freightliners, bucket trucks and a vast array of other large vehicles. There are volumes of Federaland State laws that apply to specific types of commercial motor vehicles aswell as to the industries that require them. It is absolutely critical that you hire a truck accident attorney who is familiar with the law and has experience in handling trucking and commercial vehicle collision cases specifically so that every potential violation is explored.
Typical factors leading to commercial motor vehicle collisions include:
- Driver fatigue due to long hours
- The use of alcohol, over-the-counter and/or illegal drugs
- Failure to maintain a proper lookout
- Failure to secure a load resulting in a lost load or spillage
- Overloading the vehicle
- Failure to properly maintain the vehicle braking system
- Speeding Reckless or grossly
- negligent driving Irresponsible hiring or
- retaining of negligent, careless or reckless drivers
- Underinflation of tires
- Failure to properly trian drivers and/or loaders
- Violation of the Federal Hours of Service Rules
The companies who operate commercial motor vehicles vehicles and their insurance companies typically have damage control personnel on staff who are trained to respond to collisions immediately to try to minimize the potential liability exposure of the company for their negligent conduct. It can be critical to your case that your personal injury attorney acts quickly to obtain and document any evidence before it disappears. We will begin our investigation immediately, and we have experts ready to go at any time.
Knowing what to look for and how to obtain the information is very important in trucking cases. Your attorney must be qualified to determine which of the following actions are required immediately after a commercial motor vehicle collision:
- Examine the black box that records truck speeds and brake applications
- Investigate truck driver activities recorded on GPS systems
- Review drivers’ log books and federally-required records of pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Obtain reciepts, bills of lading, orders and other documentation of the load
- Acquire driving histories, drug and alcohol tests
- Subpoena vehicle maintenance records
- Secure photos, statements and police reports
- Obtain toll tags, records and vehicle weight tickets
- Examine pay stubs and work records
- Take measurements of skid marks, vehicle damage and the scene
At Simmons and Fletcher, we have qualified attorneys ready to take immediate steps to preserve evidence and uncover the true facts.
Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. is a Christian law firm. While we represent injury victims of all faiths, we are committed to resolving our clients’ cases in a prompt and caring manner, maximizing their recovery while modeling Christian attitudes and behaviors. We will act with integrity to ensure your comprehensive needs are met following your truck accident. Contact us today to discuss your needs with a reputable, experienced, and trusted attorney.