Houston Car Accident Lawyer
Trusted Car Wreck Attorneys
In a city the size of Houston, Texas, car accidents are a daily occurrence. Since the 70’s, Simmons and Fletcher have been helping victims recover medical bills, lost wages, property damage as well as compensation for their pain and suffering. There are so many car accident lawyers to choose from in Texas now that making a decision as to who to hire or even whether to hire an attorney for your case can be mind boggling. Below are some tips to help you in your decision. To the right you can click on and read our Car Accident Handbook. Please do not hesitate to call us if we can be of service.
Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. Offer a Free No Obligation Consultation With an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
Sadly, many people come to us after they have attempted to handle a case on their own with a seemingly friendly insurance adjuster who promised they would “take full responsibility” early on and then made a ridiculous low ball offer and quit returning calls later. These kind of tactics cause injured persons to not gather and preserve evidence they should be gathering from the start and they cause delays in injured people getting medical care which are then used against the injured victim. If you think you have a simple case and are contemplating going at without a accident lawyer to “save money,” you should read this article first:
You need to know the consequences of your actions before you go down the wrong path and do damage to your own case. At Simmons and Fletcher, we offer a free initial consultation. You can come in and speak with a car accident attorney about your case. We will tell you what expect and what to lookout for. Does what the adjuster is telling you just not seem right? Come and consult one of our experienced lawyers for free. Your accident may or may not require legal representation to handle it, but shouldn’t you at least know what your rights and risks are before you go down that road?
At the end of your consultation, if you decide not to hire us, you do not owe us a dime. If you do decide to hire us, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means our fee is a percentage of the recovery we make on your case. If we do not make a recovery, you do not pay us a dime.
Should I Even Hire a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Being involved in a car accident can be confusing. One thing is for sure, everyone out there from friends and family to complete strangers will offer you an opinion on what you should do following an accident. And nobody ever wants to have to deal with the hassle of fixing the car and seeking medical care. But here is one real fact you need to know: the other side has competent legal counsel on their side and their interest is not helping you. Their interest is solely saving their insurance company money. That is why hiring a car accident lawyer is so important.
Before you try to take a go at your case without hiring a law firm, here are some important things you should know:
- Insurance Companies Don’t Want to Help You. Insurance adjusters typically will not front you money or help you find a doctor that will treat you without expecting payment up front. They know that if you have no help, you are likely not to seek the care you need. They also know that delays and gaps in care make juries second guess whether you were really hurt. Thus, stalling saves them money in the long run.
- Don’t Believe Anything the Insurance Adjuster Says. When an adjuster tells you “we take full responsibility,” it does not mean they will pay all of your medical bills and compensate you fairly for other losses from your car accident. Liability is rarely the big fight. Insurance adjusters know that just because their client is liable for causing the accident, doesn’t mean they must pay for all of the medical care you receive. If you fail to seek prompt reasonable and necessary medical care, defendants can use your inaction against you to convince a jury to not award you all of your bills. You need to seek prompt, appropriate care if you have been injured.
- Property Damage & Injury Claims Are Completely Separate. Payment of your vehicle property damage is not an admission of liability for your personal injuries suffered in an accident. Don’t be fooled into thinking they are going to treat you fair on your personal injury claim just because they paid for the property damage promptly. Payment of the property damage before they deny your injury claim is a common tactic to try to prevent the jury from ever seeing photos of the property damage. When your case goes to trial, you are typically not even allowed to tell the jury that the insurance company paid for the damage to the vehicle that their insured caused.
- Never Consent to a Recorded Statement. Recorded statements can be used against you. Your own company’s insurance adjuster or theirs may use recorded statements to deny your claim. Do not ever give a recorded statement to anyone without having an attorney who represents you present.
- Not Much Can Be Used as Evidence in Civil Court. Juries do not get to see the whole picture. In a civil court of law, much of the police report must be marked out so the jury cannot see it. Evidence of the other driver’s insurance coverage is generally not admissible in evidence.
- You Need to File a Lawsuit to Find Out Insurance Coverage. Insurance companies do not have to tell you how much insurance coverage their insured has unless you file a lawsuit and force them to do it.
- Your Car Accident Settlement May Be Taken By Your Health Insurance Company. You may have an obligation to pay back your health insurance company out of any settlement or judgment. If you have health insurance, the policy usually contains what is known as a “subrogation clause.” In plain language, this means that both you and the car insurance company may have an obligation to reimburse your health insurance company out of your settlement. The insurance adjuster does not have to tell you before you accept a settlement offer that a chunk of that offer must be paid directly by the auto liability insurer to your health insurer leaving you with little or nothing. See: Do I have to pay my health insurance company back out of my settlement?
- Never Sign a Release Without Legal Counsel. When you sign a Release, it is forever. When they offer you a settlement in exchange for signing a release, you are giving up all of your rights specified in the release for injuries you know of now and those you discover in the future. Don’t sign a property damage release until you are sure they have covered all of the damage and that your bodily injury claim is not incorporated in the release. You should have a lawyer review all releases before you sign so that you understand what you are giving up.
As you can see from the above, there are a number of risks you take by not having an attorney on your side to explain all of the consequences of your actions and of the decisions the insurance adjuster may push you to make. At Simmons and Fletcher, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means we do not get paid unless we make a recovery for you. You never have to pay us anything out of pocket. If we decide to take your case, we would only take a percentage of the settlement we recover for you. Our interest is protecting you and maximizing your recovery. Call us for a free consultation today.
Why You Need a Lawyer For a Serious Accident With Injury
If you or a family member have been injured in a car accident, it is crucial that you engage the services of an experienced, qualified and reputable attorney. Sadly, there are many people like you, as well as families just like your own, who have experienced serious injuries and even death as the result of an automobile accident. Those people who have failed to retain solid legal representation from effective legal representation have often found themselves unable to receive the compensation they are entitled. Only an attorney experienced with car accident injury cases should be trusted to handle your case. Ask us about previous case victories and settlements for victims of serious car accidents and you’ll understand why you can trust us with your case.
The professional team of experienced lawyers at Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. can provide to you the powerful representation that you need in the aftermath of a serious auto collision. With over 100 years of combined legal experience amongst the attorneys at the firm, the attorneys at Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. understand what needs to be done in order to fully protect your interests. We know what must be undertaken to ensure that you get the compensation that you are entitled to following a collision.
Insurance companies have skilled attorneys on their side. When you hire Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. you have an incomparable team of experienced, committed and capable injury lawyers on your team. We have two Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Lawyers ready to take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to accept responsibility and treat you fairly.
You may be entitled to a wide range of compensation for everything from medical expenses to pain and suffering to lost wages. If you have lost a family member due to the negligence of another driver, you may also be entitled to compensation for this terrible tragedy and wrongful death on a number of different levels as well.
Specific Types of Car Accidents
Not all car accidents are the same. They may vary depending upon the vehicle you are operating, the vehicle the other driver is operating, the insurance coverage available or the driver’s state and/or source of intoxication. For more specific types of accidents, visit these pages:
- Bicycle Accidents
- Uninsured/Under Insured Motorist Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Auto Pedestrian Accidents
- Dram Shop Liability
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Bus Accidents
How Our Auto Injury Lawyers Are Different
As you go about considering which of the many car accident lawyers can provide you the best possible representation in regard to your case, you need to appreciate that there is something else that sets out firm apart from the pack. We understand that not only are we attorneys at law but we are also counselors at law as well.
We take our complete role as attorneys and counselors at law very seriously. Towards this end, we incorporate our Christian faith in our legal practice and in our work for and relationships with our clients. As Christian trial attorneys we not only work diligently for you in the legal arena we are here to provide you the full range of support and assistance that you require when facing a challenging situation in your own life.
If you or a member of your family has been involved in a car accident, the trial lawyers at Simmons & Fletcher, P.C. are here to serve you.
More Information About Car Accidents
If you would like to read more about Texas laws regarding traffic accident claims, or news pertaining to car accidents in Houston, please feel free to visit and follow the auto injury section of our blog or take a look at the answers to some of these frequently asked about topics: