3M Dual-Sided Earplug Litigation Update
On December 10, 2021, The eighth bellwether trial in the 3M dual-sided earplug litigation concluded with the jury awarding Theodore Finley $22.5 million dollars in damages for hearing loss and tinnitus caused by the defective design of the earplugs used by American soldiers in combat zones. This verdict included an award of $15 million in punitive damages alone.
Hundreds of Thousands of Lawsuits Pending Against 3m
There are currently at least 272,000 lawsuits pending against 3M alleging injury caused by defective earplugs. Eight of them have gone to trial with five resulting in verdicts in favor of the plaintiffs. At some point, a settlement is anticipated.
3M Bellwether Trial Results
The results of the eight bellwether trials against 3M that have already taken place are as follows:
- April 2021 – $7.1 million was awarded to Lewis Keefer, Luke Estes, and Stephen Hacker
- May 2021 – 3m won a defense verdict against Dustin McCombs
- June 2021 – $1.7 million was awarded to Lloyd Baker
- October 2021 – $8.2 million was awarded to Brandon Adkins
- October 2021 – 3m won a defense verdict against Michelle Bloom
- November 2021 $13 million was awarded to Guillermo Camarillorazo
- November 2021 – 3m won a defense verdict against Joseph Palanki
- December 2021 – $22.5 million was awarded to Theodore Finley
Additional Bellwether trials are anticipated as lawyers fight to determine the anticipated value of these claims. Talk to a defective earplug lawyer about your 3m dual-sided earplug claim.