Obtaining an Accident Report in the Katy Area

How to Order a Crash Report in Katy

couple talking to police after car accidentThere are three counties that encompass the Katy area: Fort Bend, Waller and Harris County. This can make knowing who to call after an automobile crash difficult. Each municipality has their own protocol set in place when it comes to ordering and releasing public information. There are two ways you can order an accident report in Katy:

  • Order records through the Katy Police Department, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. You can request a report by calling 281-391-4893, or emailing records@katypd.com. When requesting a report through the Katy Police Department you must include: requestor’s name, phone number, location of incident and case number. Reports take 24 hours to process and accidents may take up to 10 days before a report can be available.
  • Purchase an accident report through the Texas Department of Transportation’s Crash Report Online Purchase System.

How Much Does it Cost To Order A Police Report in Katy?

If you are ordering records through the Katy Police Department, it costs $2.00 for a case report and $1.00 for an incident report. It costs $6.00 to purchase a crash report and $8.00 to purchase a certified copy from the state’s reporting system.

How to Order a Police Report in Fort Bend County

In Fort Bend County, you must use the Texas Department of Transportation’s Crash Report Online Purchase System if you want to access an accident report. This report can take 7 to 14 days before being available.

Ordering a Crash Report in Waller County

If you live near the city of Katy but are involved in an accident in an unincorporated area, you may find yourself in Waller County. Unfortunately, online resources for obtaining a crash report in Waller County are not as easily accessible as other counties in the Katy area. For instances where you need a crash report from a smaller county, it may be more effective to use the state’s reporting system.

How to Obtain an Accident Report in Harris County

There are two ways to obtain a crash report in Harris County:

For more information on obtaining crash reports in Harris County or other counties closer to the City of Houston, check out our web page on obtaining Houston area crash reports.



Paul Cannon

Paul Cannon has practiced personal injury trial law since 1995. He is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law (2005). He has earned recognition as a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters in 2017 & 2018, and as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association in 2017. He is a Shareholder, trial lawyer and online marketing manager at Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. His legal writings have been published by the Texas Bar Journal, Business.com, Lawyer.com HG Legal Resources, Lawfirms.com, and others. He has been asked to give education talks and media interviews on dog bite law.