Obtaining a Accident (Crash) Report in Houston

To obtain an accident report through the City of Houston, you will need to consult the Houston Police Department’s Public Affairs Division. Their Open Records Unit manages the disbursement of this information and provides detailed instructions on how to access crash reports; as well as, how to access information from other City Departments.

How to Obtain a Crash Report in Houston

There are 4 ways one can obtain an accident report in Houston:

  • Mail a check or money order for $6.00, payable to The City of Houston, with the necessary crash report request form to HPD, Records Division, 1200 Travis, Houston, TX 77002.
  • Go in person to 1200 Travis, Houston, TX 77002 on the first floor and pay $6.00 to receive a copy of the accident report.
  • Redacted Accident Reports are available for purchase online for $7.50 here.
  • Texas Department of Transportation’s Crash Reporting and Analysis for Safer Highways.

When are Accident and Crash Reports Available in Houston?

According to the City of Houston’s website, accident and crash reports are not available until 5-8 days after the accident occurred. For more questions about this process you can consult the Houston Police Department’s Records Division at 713-308-8585.

How to Obtain a Crash Report from Harris County Sheriff’s Office

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office provides 2 ways one can access a crash report in Harris County:

  •  In person at a district substation or county office (see contact information below)
  • Online through LexisNexis Police Reports portal. Crash reports are $6.00 for Harris County and $8.00 if you need a certified copy.

Harris County Locations that Provide Accident Reports

The locations at which you can purchase a Harris County crash report are:

  • District 1 Substation – 6831 Cypresswood, Spring, Texas 77379. Phone: 281-376-2997
  • District 2 Substation – 7900 Will Clayton, Humble, Texas 77338. Phone: 281-446-9155
  • District 3 Substation – 14350 Wallisville, Houston, Texas 77049. Phone: 713-455-8050
  • District 4 Substation – 16715 Clay Rd., Houston, Texas 77084. Phone: 281-463-2648
  • District 5 Substation – 23828 Tomball Pkwy., Tomball, Texas 77375. Phone: 281-290-2100
  • Vehicular Crimes – 3540 W. Dallas, Houston, Texas 77019. Phone: 713-274-7400.

Special Circumstances

Sometimes, accident reports are not made available to the public immediately. This may happen if there is a death involved or if there is an ongoing criminal investigation delaying issuing the report. If this is the case all you can do is wait and give the investigating department time to conclude their investigation.

Car Accidents Involving Injuries

If you are injured due to an auto accident, call us for a free consultation. If we take your case, you can let us monitor the websites and pull a police report when they come out so you can focus on your recovery. You also do not pay us a dime, even for the report we give you, unless we make a recovery.

Back to Car Accidents


Paul Cannon

Paul Cannon has practiced personal injury trial law since 1995. He is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law (2005). He has earned recognition as a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters in 2017 & 2018, and as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association in 2017. He is a Shareholder, trial lawyer and online marketing manager at Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. His legal writings have been published by the Texas Bar Journal, Business.com, Lawyer.com HG Legal Resources, Lawfirms.com, and others. He has been asked to give education talks and media interviews on dog bite law.