Paul H. Cannon
Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
Paul H. Cannon
Attorney, since 1995
Phone : 800-298-0111 (Toll Free)
Fax : 713-935-1410
Paul Cannon earned his law degree and passed the bar in 1995. He immediately began his practice in personal injury trial law with Simmons and Fletcher. His dedication and hard work earned him Board Certification in Personal Injury Trial Law in 2005, recognition as a “Top Lawyer” by H Texas Magazine in 2013 and the highest possible ranking (10/10) attainable as a lawyer by Avvo-the attorney rating website.
Creative. Energetic. Compassionate.
“I think that a lot of what drives me to do this kind of work is compassion,” Paul says. “I’ve always been good at listening to people, listening to their complaints, and developing a plan to address their problems. I have a knack for listening to people
and not just acknowledging what they have to say but really hearing them and understanding the problems that lie beneath the surface.”
Paul believes that his involvement with church mission groups has helped him develop a compassionate spirit. As a missions leader for his Sunday school class at Second Baptist Church, he volunteered with the Angels of Light project, providing meals and Bibles to less fortunate families. He organized a project that prepared and delivered over 300 sack lunches to the homeless in downtown Houston, coordinated a project to take the children of the Star of Hope Single Mom’s Shelter to a hockey game, and organized a team to strip and repaint an elderly wheelchair-bound Houstonian’s home. At Metropolitan Baptist Church, he coordinated a project that involved having the entire Metropolitan Baptist Church’s nursery create Mother’s Day Cards (about 300) that he and his family then delivered and distributed to Houston nursing home residents. He also led groups to do volunteer work including land clearing, maintenance, building restoration and fund raising for the Home of Hope,Texas, a mission that provides assistance to the victims of human trafficking.
Paul believes that there is a missions aspect to his work as an attorney, as well.
“There are people who need help, and part of what we do here is to help those people. People who have been injured don’t know where to turn, where to go. My job is to step in and help them put their lives back together.”
Unlike some lawyers who are primarily concerned about the financial aspect of the case, Paul takes the time to talk with clients and develop a relationship so that he can understand all the ways a case has impacted their lives.
“This enables me to turn around and present their case to the jury in a way that they can fully understand,” he explains. “It’s not all about money. Part of my client’s life has been stripped away. It’s about putting their life back together.”
Board-certified in personal Injury trial law by the Texas State Board of Legal Specialization, Paul genuinely enjoys the process of litigating cases before a jury.
“The only thing I ever wanted to do was trial law. I actually turned down an opportunity to do appellate work because my desire was to do the trial work. Contract law has no heart or soul. This is riskier, but the reward is a lot higher, too. When you win a case for someone whose life has been turned upside down–it’s a good feeling.”
Paul Cannon received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from the University of Texas and attended South Texas College of Law, where he received his degree in 1995. While in school, he was an active member of the Phi Delta Phi Honorary Legal Fraternity, the Student Bar Association Student Concerns Committee, and the Houston Young Lawyer’s Association Environmental Committee.
Paul and his wife were married in 2001 and are the proud parents of two children. They currently attend Fairfield Baptist Church in Fairfield, Texas.
Areas of Practice:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle wrecks
- Drunk driving accidents
- Brown Recluse spider bites
- Vehicle defects
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Serious injuries
- Industrial accidents
- Wrongful death
- Dog attacks
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1996
- Personal Injury Trial Law, State Bar of Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2005
Honors and Awards:
- Top Lawyer, H Texas Magazine, 2013
- 10/10 Avvo.com Rating, 2013
- National Registry of Who’s Who, 2001 – Present
- Phi Delta Phi Honorary Legal Fraternity, 1995
- South Texas College of Law Deans List, 1994
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association (2009-present)
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association (2007-2009)
- American Bar Association (1995-1997)
- South Texas College of Law Alumni Association (1995-present)
- Student Bar Association Student Concerns Committee (1993-1994)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association Environmental Committee (1993)
- Faculty Speaker, Dog Bite Victim Representation, Strafford Webinars, 2013
- A Guide to Help Parents Avoid Accidents Around Swimming Pools, Avvo Legal Guides, 2013
- How To Investigate a Dog Bite Liability Case in Texas, Avvo Legal Guides, 2013
- The Resurrection of the Competitive Sports Doctrine in Texas, JD Supra, 2012
- What Does It Mean For a Personal Injury Lawyer To Be Board Certified In Texas?, Ezine Articles, 2012
- Understanding the Texas Liability Auto Insurance Policy, GoArticles, 2012
- Home Owner Legal Considerations When Getting a Dog, Self Growth, 2012
- Skype Hearings For Lawyers – My Experience, Amazines, 2012
- Important Differences in 18 Wheeler Accident Cases and Other Automobile Accident Cases, HG.org Global Legal Resources, 2012
- U11 Girls Soccer Team Manager, Dynamos Soccer Club 2013-present
- U7 Boys Soccer Coach, Cy-Fair Soccer Club 2012
- Top Contributor, Avvo.com 2013
- Pundit,PolicyMic 2012-present
South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, 1995
Honors: Student Bar Association Student Concerns Committee (1993-1994)
Honors: Houston Young Lawyer’s Association Environmental Committee (1993)
University of Texas, Austin, Texas