Sexual Abuse & Sexual Molestation

Houston Sexual Abuse Lawyer

sexual violence

Houston Attorneys for Sexual Abuse Cases

A sexual abuse lawyer may be able to help when you are harmed by certain sexual predators. Being sexually abused, especially by someone you believed you knew and trusted is an absolute nightmare for the survivors.  These actions are criminal and should be reported to the police.  The harm done by these actions may result in a lifetime of physical and psychological care for the survivors. Talk to a sexual abuse lawyer today to learn your rights. 1-800-298-0111.

At Simmons and Fletcher, P.C., we have had success obtaining settlements for sexual molestation and sexual abuse cases where the abuser is in a special position of power or knowledge over the victim and/or the victim’s parents such as clergymen, counselors, scout leaders, and teachers.

What Kind of Sexual Abuse Cases Do We Evaluate?

We will review and consider sexual abuse cases involving the following:

  • Abuse by pastors, ministers, and clergy while in their official capacity
  • Abuse by teachers at private schools & private colleges
  • Abuse by a medical or dental professional while the person is sedated
  • Abuse of a minor by another minor or adult while visiting that person’s home
  • Abuse by Taxi, Uber, or Lyft drivers
  • Human trafficking of a minor.

The first 5 above are known as institutionalized sexual abuse and involve someone in a position of power or authority exercising wrongful control over the victim. Get a free consultation with a Houston personal injury attorney to discuss whether your case falls into this category. (713) 932-0777.

Sexual Abuse by Pastors, Youth Ministers, and Other Clergy

Churches should do a background check on anyone they place in a special position of power and trust, particularly when they will work in isolated circumstances with children. When a Pastor or youth minister is not properly vetted or a church ignores reports of sexual misconduct of a church employee, the church may bear responsibility for the harm done.  Call us for a free confidential consultation today.

Sexual Abuse by a Teacher at a Private School, College, or University

Many public schools are shielded from liability for the actions of their employees by the sovereign immunity laws.  Similarly, homeowners’ policies will exclude liability for intentional acts by the homeowner.

However, when the school is a private school, private university, or private college, there may be legal recourse if the professor/teacher was not properly screened at the time of hiring. Background checks are critical when placing someone in a position of authority over students.  If you have been sexually abused or molested by a school employee at a private school or university, you may have legal recourse. Call Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. for a free confidential consultation today.

Sexual Abuse or Molestation by Medical/Dental Professional

We have a right to expect medical professionals and dental professionals to take care of us with respect for our persons and our privacy. Unfortunately, this does not always happen. Improper sexual contact may when you are under the effects of anesthesia or even when you are wide awake in the exam room. If this happens in Texas, your claim for personal injuries falls under the requirements of the Texas Health Care Liability Act.  You must follow the notice and report requirements of the Act to preserve your claim. Contact Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. for a confidential assessment of your case.

Other Persons Homes and/or House Parties

If you have been sexually molested at the home of another person, whether you were there visiting or at a party, you may have legal recourse. In some instances, homeowners’ insurance will exclude coverage due to the act being an intentional act. However, when the actor is the child of the homeowner and has a history of abuse or the parent allows underage drinking or drug use in the home that leads to sexual contact, there may be civil liability for the parent’s negligence which is covered by the homeowner’s policy.

Extended Statute of Limitations

Children receive extra consideration for the legal system due to their youthfulness. As a result, many personal injury claims based upon sexually-oriented crimes against minors have an extended statute of limitations. There is a fifteen-year statute of limitations for sex crimes against minors in Texas. This is an exception to the general two-year statute of limitations on personal injuries.

Adults who have been sexually abused also have a slightly longer statute of limitations than normal. Adults who are victims of sex crimes have a five-year statute of limitations in Texas.

Other states have different periods set by state statute. See the following articles for New York sexual abuse statutes of limitations and the Louisiana Statute of limitations on sexual abuse.

Free Confidential Consultation

If you or your child has been sexually molested and or sexually abused, one of our Houston personal injury attorneys may be able to help. Simmons and Fletcher, P.C., offers a free, confidential consultation. If we take on your case, you pay us nothing upfront and no fees or expenses unless we make a recovery for you.  Call today: (800) 298-0111.

Related Reading:

Human trafficking lawyer

Business Liability for Sexual Assault

Sexual Abuse Lawsuits in New York

Sexual Molestation Lawsuits in Louisiana