Texas Workers’ Compensation Commission

Contacting the Texas Worker’s Compensation Commission

Workers’ Compensation in Texas is complicated because, unlike other states, Texas does not require employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If an employer chooses to be a “non-subscriber,” or go without coverage, they may face personal injury lawsuits from employees who are injured on the job and as a result of the employers’ negligence.

When an employer chooses to subscribe to workers’ compensation coverage, they are choosing an insurance program managed by the State of Texas. Under the Texas Department of Insurance is the Division of Workers’ Compensation, an entity that regulates the benefits associated with worker’s compensation and helps resolve disputes between insurers and employers.

If you have been injured in a work accident, and your employer carries workers’ compensation insurance, there are many resources available to you.

How Do I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Texas?

individual filing out a work injury claim formThe first thing you should do when injured on the job is to report the injury to your employer immediately. Make sure an employer’s initial report of injury is filled out immediately because you are required to file an injury report within 30 days of the injury. If you have suffered an injury throughout the course of multiple days, or you are unsure of the exact date of exposure, you are to report the injury within 30 days of the date you should know the injury may be related to your employment. After you have done this, contact the Texas Workers Compensation Commission to be sure your injury claim was filed. Don’t assume your employer will do it.

What is the Phone Number to Report a Texas Workers Compensation Claim?

The phone number to call for the Texas Workers Compensation Commission is (800) 252-7031.  You have up to 1 year to file a workers’ compensation claim, but the best thing you can do is get prompt attention to your injuries by contacting the DWC yourself, or via your attorney and personally.

You can also email them at [email protected]. From there, an adjuster will guide you as to what your next steps should be. For more information, visit the Texas Department of Insurance Website.

How Do I File a Complaint About My Texas Workers’ Compensation Case Adjuster?

If you have been assigned a workers’ compensation adjuster who you feel is negligently handling your claim, you can file a complaint. According to the Texas DWC website, all complaints must be submitted in writing. You can download a complaint form (DWC Form-154) or email [email protected] with the necessary documents. For a step-by-step breakdown of how you file a complaint, visit their website at www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/ today.

What is the Office of Injured Employee Counsel?

The State of Texas has an agency dedicated to assisting injured employees with their workers’ compensation claims – the Office of Injured Employee Counsel (OIEC). The OIEC mission statement is ‘to assist, educate, and advocate on behalf of the injured employees of Texas.’ The agency maintains an advocacy role in the workers’ compensation system and is separate from the Texas Department of Insurance and the DWC.

Attorneys at the Office of Injured Employee Counsel are available to assist workers who are handling their own worker’s compensation claim, not to handle the claim for them. If you want an attorney dedicated to your case, you should consider hiring a private worker’s compensation attorney of your own.

Office of Injured Employee Counsel Field Offices

Although there is a single phone number to contact worker’s compensation and the Office of Injured Employee Counsel, you do not have to drive to one central location in the State to get advice. There are many local branches of the Office of Injured Employee Counsel. These can be found in the following locations:

Abilene: 1290 S. Willis, Suite 102 Abilene, TX 79605-406
Amarillo: 7112 IH-40, West, Bldg. D Amarillo, TX 79106-2503
Austin: 7551 Metro Center Drive, Suite 100, MS – 301 Austin, Texas 78744-1645 (DWC Central Office)
Beaumont Hearings (Concord Square Office Park): 6430 Concord Rd. Beaumont, TX 77708-4315
Corpus Christi: 5155 Flynn Parkway, Suite 218 Corpus Christi, TX 78411-4316
Dallas: 1515 W. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 100 Dallas, TX 75235-5078
Denton Dallas Dr. Tech Center: 625 Dallas Dr., Suite 475 Denton, TX 76205-5299
El Paso State Office Building: 401 East Franklin Avenue, Ste 330 El Paso, TX 79901-1250
Fort Worth (Walton Building): 6900 Anderson Blvd., Suite 200 67Fort Worth, TX 76120-3030
Houston East (Elias Ramirez Building): 5425 Polk Street, Suite 130 Houston, TX 77023-1454
Houston West: 350 N. Sam Houston Pkwy. E. Ste. 110 Houston, TX 77060-3318
Laredo: 500 E Mann Road, Suite B2 Laredo, TX 78041-2630
Lubbock: 22 Briercroft Office Park, Suite A Lubbock, TX 79412-3089
Lufkin: 310 Harmony Hill Drive, Suite 100 Lufkin, TX 75901-5953
Midland/Odessa (Executive Office Park): 4500 West Illinois Avenue, Suite 315 Midland, TX 79703-5486
San Angelo (State of Texas Services Center): 622 S. Oakes, Suite M San Angelo, TX 76903-7035
San Antonio (The Brownwood Building): 4440 S Piedras Drive, Suite 205 San Antonio, Texas 78228-1217
Tyler: 3800 Paluxy Drive, Suite 570 Tyler, TX 75703-1665
Waco (Raleigh Building): 801 Austin Ave., Suite 840 Waco, TX 76701-1937
Weslaco: 1108 West Pike Blvd. Weslaco, TX 78596-4651

You can also download the Texas Workers Compensation Commission Contact Information here.

Employers With No Coverage

Simmons and Fletcher, P.C., has been representing injured workers hurt due to the negligence of an employer with no workers’ compensation insurance, and even fake workers’ compensation insurance policies since 1979. If you or someone you love has been injured on the job, call (713) 932-0777 today to speak with an experienced work injury lawyer.