Texas Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Houston Bike Accident Attorney
According to a recent report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 859 bicyclists were killed in auto-bike crashes in 2018. This was the highest level of bicycle accident fatalities since 1990. At Simmons and Fletcher, P.C., our bicycle accident attorneys understand that when a bicycle accident occurs, it can cause death or serious injury to the rider of the bike since he has limited or no protection from the impact of the vehicle. We are here to help. Call 1-800-298-0111 for a free consultation.
What are the Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle accidents can occur anywhere and at any time, whether on a busy road or a slow intersection. Common causes include:
- The driver of a vehicle making an unsafe left turn or right turn.
- The driver of a vehicle texting, talking on his cell phone, or otherwise failing to pay attention to the bicycle rider.
- The driver of a vehicle failing to give adequate space to cyclists riding in the bike lane.
- The driver of a vehicle opening a door into the path of the bicycle rider.
- Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
These are just a few examples of some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Houston.
What Damages Can a Bike Accident Attorney Recover?
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, a bike accident lawyer can pursue compensation for your injuries and losses including:
- pain and suffering
- lost wages
- physical impairment
- medical expenses
- scarring and disfigurement
- future medical needs
- mental anguish.
In the event that you have lost a loved one due to a bicycle accident, a bike accident lawyer can pursue a wrongful death claim and seek recovery for all damages associated with the loss.
Injuries Commonly Caused by Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can cause serious harm to the bike rider who has no protection against the impact of the vehicle. Some of the common types of injuries that occur in bicycle accidents including:
- permanent brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Whiplash type damage to the soft tissue, muscle, ligaments, joints, and cartilage of the body
- Wrongful death
- Bone fractures/broken bones
Auto-Bicycle Accident Infographic
Auto-cyclist accidents are all too common in Texas. Below is an infographic showing the magnitude of the problem.
What Laws Protect Cyclists?
Fortunately, many cities and states have begun to recognize that people on bikes need to be protected. The best example of this is the rise in the creating of protective laws that apply to bicycle operators and other non-vehicle road users known as “Vulnerable Road User Statutes.” A Vulnerable Road User Ordinance is a city ordinance adopted to protect cyclists and pedestrians by requiring operators of automobiles to take specific actions when driving around vulnerable bicycle riders and pedestrians such as:
- Vacate the lane in which they are located where possible while passing a vulnerable road user.
- Yield the right-of-way to a vulnerable road user who is approaching from the opposite direction when turning the vehicle left or right.
It also prohibits:
- Turning across a vulnerable road user’s path after overtaking a vulnerable road user traveling in the same direction.
- Using the car to cause intimidation or harassment to a vulnerable road user or in a manner that threatens a user.
- Throwing things at vulnerable road users from the vehicle.
If you have been a victim of a driver who violated one of these ordinances such as the Houston Vulnerable Road User Ordinance, Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. can help to prove responsibility and impose legal liability on the driver.
What Does it Cost to Talk to a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
Consultations with a bicycle accident lawyer at Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. are 100% free with no obligation. It is very important to have a strong advocate on your side when you are up against insurance companies who have lawyers and adjusters on staff to try to minimize your case. At Simmons and Fletcher, P.C., our bicycle accident attorneys know how to fight for your rights after a bike accident and will work with you to help put your life back together after a tragic accident occurs. The consultation is free and we charge no fees unless we win your case.